artistic research project – 2014-2019
SITE AWARENESS IN MUSIC
– recontextualizing a sensation of another place.
The project argues that a sensation of another place is vital to the recognition of unfamiliar perspectives.
Space and sound are inextricably connected. The surroundings and context are central to how we perceive external stimuli, such as images, events, history, ideas or music. The brain interprets and make choices by association, based on what the body perceives and based on previous knowledge and experience. How humans listen, hear, see, perceive, interpret and react to our surroundings are based on our cognitive structures.
An unformatting of society is needed.
A risk makes the body and brain aware and alert. Adrenalin is released to the blood, enabling the organism to sudden and severe effort. Risk implies something unestablished, uncertain, a danger, something unknown. Risk implies the possibility of failure and ultimately death. Risk increase anxiety and excitement, enabling the alertness needed to maneuver away from or solve problems. When something is at stake, interest is set into play. The unknown is by its very nature beyond the body’s experience.
The project is about increasing the awareness of the situational and contextual implications of music. This is enquired through three works. For each site or situation I work with, I analyze its characteristics, such as acoustical conditions, the relations of the place to its surroundings, the shape of the landscape and historical or political context.
– I try to create immersive, audiovisual projects that are connected to a certain place.
– I aim to involve qualities and characteristics from the place, shaping a conversation, putting something at stake.
– I conceive a music activating the place, making created situations.
– I do this because there is a close link between memory, comprehension and place.
The sense of place and ability to navigate is essential to our memory and bodily existence in the world.
- Comfort Music (2015) – album released 2018
- Mirnyj (2018) – premiere 27.11.2018
- Himdalen (2018) – premiere 24.11.2018
The reflection is finalized 16. Sep 2019 and is in review process. Link for presentation at the Research Catalogue: https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/565811/565812/0/27
Link to pdf reflection: SAIM3.0_20190916
Update as of 20. Mar 2020
5. Feb 2020 the committe accepted the reflection and project and recommended Viva Voce. The date was set to 24. April 2020. However, the ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic implies widespread cancellations all over the world to impose isolation of the virus. The Viva Voce is therefore cancelled. A new date will be set when societal conditions are better.